Wasp Sting Vinegar

How to Use Vinegar for Wasp Sting Ailments

Using vinegar for wasp sting ailments is a method that has been passed down from generation to generation all across the world. It is time-honored and still popular to this day simply for the reason that it works, and it works well.

If you are going to be exposed to the possibility of being stung by wasps due to a picnic or camping trip, or if you have a little one that has already been stung, this article will discuss how to use vinegar for wasp sting relief as well as some other helpful tips and pieces of information that you should know about.

Before Treatment

Before you even begin to be concerned with how to use vinegar for wasp sting aid, you need to be on the lookout for a massive allergic reaction. Allergic reactions to wasp stings may be fatal, and so this is the first step. If any of the following occurs or is present, do not hesitate to seek medical attention immediately.

If your tongue begins to swell, you will need emergency care. If you were stung in the mouth or nose, it will affect breathing, but if you were stung outside of your body and the tongue swelling still happens, you are likely going to go into anaphylactic shock.

If dizziness, blurry vision, slurred speech, nausea, excessive swelling or a rash develops, you need to seek attention as well. Most of these symptoms are common sense, but some people will attribute them to simply a bad reaction.

Vinegar Treatment

Using vinegar for wasp sting treatment is quite simple and even the mildly squeamish can do it. The first thing you need to do, and usually the most difficult, is to ensure that the stinger is no longer embedded in the body. If you can see that it is still in the skin, you will need to remove it quickly to avoid more complications and additional venom from seeping in.

To remove the stinger, you need to find a tool or item that will be good for scraping. Fingernails are ideal, but if you have a nasty habit of biting your nails, they will not work. A good secondary tool is a credit or identification card. Scrape the card or your nail against the stinger to pry it out of the skin. Do not attempt to grasp the stinger, as this will squeeze out more venom and thus cause more pain and swelling for the wasp victim.

If you have a cotton ball or some tissue handy, soak it in the vinegar. This is a handy way to apply the vinegar to the sting without causing a huge mess. Hold the soaked material on the wound. Eventually the pain of the venom will completely go away, leaving the victim with slight discomfort from any swelling and the actual puncture point.

 

If a cotton ball is not available, or if you simply do not care about getting vinegar all over, you also have the option of simply drizzling the vinegar on to the wound site. It may take a fair amount of vinegar, since it will not be in constant contact with the venom, but it is also effective.

Why Does Vinegar Work?

Vinegar is very effective for helping to rid a person of wasp sting pain. The reason it is so good at this, is because the acid content is able to neutralize the alkali in the venom. By using the venom’s pH balance against itself, people can turn the average wasp sting into a minor issue, and simply an annoyance.