Low Carb Breakfast Ideas
Top 10 Low Carb Breakfast Ideas
Low carb breakfast ideas and dieting seem to go hand in hand these days. As people are becoming more aware of the short and long-term downfalls of starting their day with cereals, breads and other high carbohydrate foods, other alternatives are being explored.
Of course, it is also important to realize that while you may be giving up carbohydrates, you are doing nothing for your cholesterol levels, basing your diet around only meat and eggs. It is important that fruits and vegetables become a big part of your diet and although fruit does have carbohydrates, they are natural and most contain enough fiber to cancel out the carbohydrates.
- Bowl of Berries – Raspberries, strawberries, blackberries and blueberries are all exceptionally high in antioxidants and low in carbohydrates. Berries are rich in vitamin C, calcium, potassium and folate and they contain flavonoids and phytochemicals that prevent cancer and bladder infections. The best thing about berries as low carb breakfast ideas is that they travel well in a bag or a Tupperware container to eat on your way to work or school.
- Cottage Cheese and Cantaloupe – One large slice of cantaloupe has only 4.6 carbohydrates and it is full of vitamin A and C, potassium, phosphorus, thiamine and iron. Also, one serving of cottage cheese has 15 grams of protein and plenty of calcium to maintain blood pressure levels and build strong bones.
- Slice of Salmon – In many places of the world and at nicer vacation resorts, a hearty slice of salmon is served for breakfast. This tasty fish has easily digestible proteins, fatty acids, vitamins A, B and D, phosphorus, iron and calcium. Salmon is good for your heart, muscles, metabolism, brain, nerves and eyes.
- Crust-less Quiche – These are at the top of the low carb breakfast ideas for days that you have a little spare time to kill in the morning. Similar to an omelette, you have the ability to personalize your quiche with all of your favorite vegetables or meats.
- Low Carb Cereals – With the multitude of people looking for easy low carb breakfast ideas, manufacturers have happily responded with tasty specialty cereals. If you want to add a little more nutrients to your poured breakfast, drop in your favorite berries and remember to use soy milk.
- Omelette – This is the most classic item on the low carb breakfast ideas list. The good thing about omelettes is that you can make them with pretty much any ingredient that you have handy. Can't get your omelette to actually look the way it’s supposed to? Not a problem, all of the ingredients scramble well too.
- Tortillas – If you have a craving for a breakfast burrito, a low carb egg, jalapeno, salsa and cheese tortilla may be just what you need to start your day. All you have to do is scramble the jalapenos and eggs together, put them in the tortilla and top it with the salsa and cheese for a healthy and delicious breakfast.
- Beans – This may not be one of the more traditional low carb breakfast ideas but beans are not just for a side plate anymore. Boil up a pot of your favorite, black, red, cranberry, pinto or great northern beans and they will stay good in your refrigerator for days. Eat them cold, heat them up, snack on them or mix them with eggs. While they do contain carbohydrates, they also are rich in fiber and protein and they make you feel full while giving you an abundance of energy to start your day.
- Banana – There is not a rule that says that you have to have a large breakfast every morning. Yes, breakfast may be the most important meal of the day but if you are not hungry or you know that you are having an early lunch, have a nutritious, filling banana for your first meal.
- Low Carb Shakes – Although diet shakes typically have had a reputation through the years of not being so tasty, there are plenty of new low carb shakes on the market in various flavors that are full of vitamins and minerals, making them a healthy, convenient option on the list of low carb breakfast ideas.