How To Fight Your First Lip Wrinkle
If you are fretting over the sight of that first lip wrinkle that is staring back at you in the mirror you can relax because believe it or not, it does not have to be a permanent fixture on your face. Of course, preventing them from forming is a lot easier than getting rid of them once they are already there.
Your lips are actually about as delicate as the skin on your neck because it is very thin. Your lips are exposed to bacteria, pollution, extreme temperatures and cigarette smoking. In addition to all of these outside factors, as you age, the collagen is decreased and the skin becomes even thinner.
The collagen then plumps up to fill the lip wrinkle to make it less noticeable. Collagen attempts to counteract any free radicals that could be in your system that is lingering there to destroy your skin. Additionally, your lips have their own natural lip balm, which when depleted, contributes to more wrinkles being formed.
Collagen is a fibrous protein that supports and connects bodily tissues including bones, skin, muscles, cartilage and tendons. Also, it supports your internal organs and it is even in your teeth. Essentially, it is the glue holding your body together.
It can be found inside and on the outside of cells and works along side elastin. Collagen provides body tissues with strength and firmness while the elastin offers the needed flexibility.
As you age, collagen degradation occurs which will eventually lead to wrinkles. Because of its many uses, it is available as a supplement and is also used in cosmetic surgery. Collagen can be used to help with joint mobility and can even be helpful to treat serious burns.
Prevent Collagen Loss
Although you can probably not guarantee that you never see a lip wrinkle, there are a few things that you can do to prevent them from coming for as long as you can.
- Avoid The Sun – While it is important to get a small daily dose of sunshine to soak up some much needed vitamin D, extended exposure is proven to cause wrinkles.
- Wear Sunscreen – When you do go outside for your daily walk, it is important to wear a sunscreen, even in the winter. It is also a good idea to wear a lip balm with sun protection too if you are concerned about seeing your first lip wrinkle.
- Beauty Sleep – If you don't get enough sleep every night, your body produces too much cortisol which is a hormone that damages your skin cells. When you get plenty of sleep, your body produces human growth hormone (HGH) which allows your skin to remain more elastic.
- Don't Smoke – You already know that there are a multitude of reasons to not smoke and here is one more. Smoking ages your skin and it is proven that a smoker wrinkles 40 percent more than a non-smoker and at a faster rate.
- Eat Your Fruits and Vegetables – You cannot beat the antioxidant compounds found in fruits and vegetables that fight free radical damage which in return, makes your skin more radiant.
- Botox – Having an injection of this substance is one of the most well-known ways to get rid of a lip wrinkle. It works by relaxing the muscle under the wrinkle which allows the skin to lay down smooth.
- Chemical Peels – Various chemicals are used in these treatments that burns away the skin's top layer. In doing so, the body responds to the damaged skin by producing collagen.
- Dermabrasion – A mild chemical crystal is used with a vacuum-like suction device to remove the skin's top layer of cells which results in a more even and smooth skin tone.
- Wrinkle Fillers – Doctors physically fill your wrinkles with hyaluronic acid, collagen and other compounds to reduce their appearance.
- Laser Resurfacing – A laser removes your skin's top layer to create a wounding effect to stimulate the cells to produce more collagen.