Top 25 Most Unknown Hygiene Facts
There often seems to be debate about many hygiene facts. What is right and what is wrong? Just because big name companies tell you that you have to shampoo your hair everyday does not make it right. There are an endless number of things that you are probably taught growing up but are they all true or is it just a ploy to keep you buying more products or doing the same thing that everyone else does? Below are the top 25 natural and most unknown hygiene facts that you may find incredibly interesting and very helpful.
- The human body is self-healing, self-cleansing and self-maintaining.
- Sunshine is essential to life and important for cleaning your body from the inside out. It is also necessary for bone formation.
- One of the most interesting hygiene facts is that your body harbors over 1,000 species of bacteria that are beneficial to keeping you healthy.
- Despite what commercials tell you, killing all bacteria actually makes you much more vulnerable to disease.
- Antibacterial soap does not prevent infection and better than ordinary soap.
- The ingredients in antibacterial soap can affect your libido and mess up your hormones.
- A study performed on 11,000 children reports that an overly sterile environment actually increases the child's risk for asthma, eczema and allergies.
The people of ancient Egypt found that urine could treat burns and cuts. A chemical contained in your urine can prevent infection by killing fungi and bacteria.
- One of the more interesting facts is that bathing everyday has only become popular over the last half century.
- The 10 second rule of picking something up off the floor is a myth. Any object is able to become contaminated immediately upon contact.
- Mouthwash that claims to kill of the bacteria in your mouth is actually harming you by destroying good bacteria that protects you.
- Ice machines found in fast food restaurants contain more bacteria than your toilet bowl.
- The toothbrush was invented in 1498.
- Residents of the United States did not regularly brush their teeth until some time after World War II.
- One of the more disturbing hygiene facts is that hospital television remotes spread an unbelievable amount of bacteria.
- Mineral oil that is used in baby oil, lotion and makeup is derived from petroleum which clogs your pores and your skin is unable to get rid of toxins or breathe.
- Paraffin, which is an ingredient that is used in many bath bars can irritate and clog your pores.
- Sodium lauryl sulfate that is found in shampoos, toothpastes and cosmetics is also found in laundry soap, engine de-greaser and garage floor cleaners. It is bad for your skin and when combined with other products, it can cause cancer.
- Formaldehyde that is used in shampoos, skin cream and nail polish is also used to preserve dead bodies and can cause cancer and asthma.
- Talc that is found in baby powder, pressed powder and blushes can cause cancer when inhaled.
- Isopropyl alcohol that is used in hairspray, perfume, body lotion, hair color and after shave is a toxic substance that is also used in antifreeze. It can cause depression, dizziness, nausea and headaches.
- Alpha-hydroxy acids are advertised as a moisturizing ingredient and are used in masks, skin cleansers and moisturizers. The terrifying hygiene facts about this popular ingredient is that it removes not only your dead skin cells but also the protective layer of cells, making your skin 50 percent more susceptible to skin cancer.
- Apple cider vinegar makes a wonderful hair conditioner and restores your hair to its proper pH balance.
- Baking soda can be used to wash your hair, body and brush your teeth.
- One of the most alarming hygiene facts is that collagen that is introduced to skin care products with the promise of healing skin is extracted from ground chicken feet and animal skins.