Cholesterol Free Foods
Top 10 Cholesterol Free Foods
Cholesterol free foods are derived from plants including vegetables, fruits, legumes and whole grains. It is a fact that Americans have the highest cholesterol because most consume a diet rich in eggs, dairy, meat, fish and poultry. Not only can cholesterol free foods reduce your risk of heart disease, they are all full of their own bouquet of vitamins, minerals and healthy benefits.
- Watermelon – This luscious summer favorite is packed full of beta-carotene, lycopene, lutein and phytoene, which have antioxidant properties. It is suggested that lycopene can even reduce your risk for cardiovascular disease. In addition to the watermelon itself, the seeds are a fabulous source of protein and dietary fiber and they are full of calcium, magnesium, iron, potassium, zinc and phosphorus.
- Blueberry – These small, round berries are as nutritious as they are delicious. They are a natural source of antioxidants including beta-carotene and flavonoids. Additionally, blueberries are a great source of dietary fiber and vitamin A, C and E. These anti-aging berries can prevent cancer, heart disease, stroke and Alzheimer's disease.
- Avocado – For years, people have been told to stay away from avocados due to their high calories and fat content but the pros more than outweigh the cons of these cholesterol free foods. Avocados are high in fiber, potassium, folate and mono-saturated fats, which are good for controlling diabetes, preventing heart disease, high blood pressure and cancer.
- Spinach – These leafy greens are not only one of the top cholesterol free foods, they are one of the most nutritious foods that you can add to your diet. Spinach is a phenomenal source of vitamin A, C, B and K, iron, folate, magnesium, potassium, protein, zinc, copper, niacin, omega-3 fatty acids and phosphorus. This is a heart-healthy food that keeps your brain young as well and helps prevent migraines, arthritis, asthma, eye disease and cancer.
- Broccoli – This tasty, hearty vegetable is rich in calcium, fiber, beta-carotene, vitamin C and folic acid. Broccoli builds strong bones, controls blood pressure and prevents cataracts, cancer and heart disease, all while acting as one of the top cholesterol free foods.
- Garlic – Not only does garlic keep the vampires away, it fights colds, cancer and heart disease as well. Since 1858, it was discovered that garlic can combat infection and intestinal parasites and it can even be used as a cure for impotence. Garlic works to thin your blood to control blood pressure and of course, lowers your cholesterol.
- Banana – These oblong fruits are ideal to eat whenever you need an energy boost and due to their high fiber content, they help with constipation. Bananas protect your eyesight, reduce depression and help you have healthy bones, kidney and blood pressure. These practical fruits can even help with morning sickness, ulcers and nicotine withdrawals as well.
- Oat Bran – Next on the list of top cholesterol free foods is the outer, edible layer of an oat kernel. It contains protein, healthy fats, minerals, B complex vitamins and fiber. It is suggested that when eaten regularly, it can lower your cholesterol by more than 25 percent in only a couple of months. Additionally, it fights cardiovascular disease, diabetes and enhances athletic performance.
- Apple – An apple a day really does keep the doctor away. They prevent Alzheimer's disease, lung, breast, liver and colon cancer and manage diabetes. In addition to all of these benefits they strengthen your bones and can prevent asthma. Studies prove that pregnant women who ate a daily apple throughout their pregnancy had babies with significantly healthier lungs.
- Raspberry – Healthy food never tasted so good. Raspberries are loaded with fiber, vitamins and antioxidants that can prevent cancer. They contain manganese which is an essential mineral to raise your metabolic rate to aid in weight-loss and made into a facial mask they can eliminate age spots, discoloration and fill in wrinkles.